Simply havin' a wonderful Christmas time.


Saturday afternoon the boyfriend and I made our way into the city for what one might call the perfect weekend day - good music, fab food, and generally silly shenanigans. It was a typical December day - filled with crowds of tourists and busy shoppers, and an electric buzz that permeated the air. London really is magical at this time of year.

First up, The Tricks in Covent Garden. Give them a listen and I dare you not to get their songs stuck in your head.


Seriously. I dare you.

Next up, shenanigans.






Ridiculous wigs compliments of Angels Fancy Dress. I have never been to this store before, but you can rest assured that I will be back. Not only can you can try on the wigs and masks, but there are FOUR floors worth of beautiful period and fantasy costumes for purchase or rent. This is like heaven for a theater junkie who spent the majority of her childhood dressing herself and her friends/family up and forcing them to re-enact various parts of movies, plays, and significant historical events (there are home videos that prove this). Already planning a return trip. Let me know if you'd like to be involved.

And finally, yum yums.

 

This photo was taken at yet another delightful Mexican eaterie - Wahaca Mexican Market Eating - and I think this one has definitely taken the lead. We ate at the original Covent Garden restaurant, sharing a selection from the tapas-like "street food" on the menu, including the pork pibil tacos, MSC certified herring tostadas, and the chorizo and potato quesadillas. There were so many things I wanted to try, including a variety of appetizers, street food portions, and full-sized meals. There was a bit of a fusion-like twist to the food, but it was authentic enough for my liking, not to mention insanely delicious, and the restaurant strives to source the the ingredients as locally and ethically as possible. Bonus.

In this photo I am eating salted caramel ice cream with chocolate chips, but they also make a delicious chocolate version of the very traditional Tres Leches cake. I have made a more traditional one before. Unfortunately, it was pre-blog, but you can find the recipe I used HERE. Served warm with a scoop of peanut butter ice cream, the Wahaca version is a pretty indulgent dessert. Luckily I have a boyfriend that only likes a little taste and also likes to share, but I will probably get my own next time. Because there will be a next time.

Maybe I take back what I said about it being hard to find Mexican food in London. Though, I'm still not sure if these restaurants really deliver the same level of authenticity that is found in the states. I hope one will prove me wrong.

Love.

Comments

Popular Posts