What's my age again?


Oh, what to do, what to do? Let's take a poll. What is a 24-year-old supposed to be doing at this point in her life? Some would say that I should be enjoying myself, traveling and exploring all that the world has to offer, but anyone who's ever been bound by the financial ball-and-chain knows that this sort of carefree lifestyle is just not as simple as it may seem.

This is it - I am considering applying for a job. Yes, I do have a job now, a couple in fact, but I'm talking about a real person, time consuming, long-term contract job that would provide me with an actual salary. I think I would be a good candidate for it and I would probably still be able to do some work for the NAS, which I really want to continue doing, but it does come with additional requirements - namely that I must get a UK driver's license, real insurance, and a car.....

All possible job applications aside, this is something that I need to do anyway. Whilst I am extremely satisfied with the public transportation in this country, hence my not having learned to drive already, I want to be able to go where I want, when I want and to not be restricted by the lack of a train station in a tiny village. But I am finding the idea of this whole process slightly daunting. Because as much as I am looking forward to whizzing down the wrong side of a twisting country lane, I just feel like I have already done this. I have already been fifteen and in the learner's seat, scared shitless that one false move would land me with some sort of lawsuit or pre-license collection of insurance points. I have already been subjected to pointless testing of information that most people don't remember past the first year, but do fine enough without. I have already been commanded around and teased mercilessly (while at the wheel) by instructors who are completely insensitive to the utter helplessness, and sometimes shame, that first-time drivers are known experience.

I have done all this. And I can drive already! But not a manual gear shift and not on the right (well, correct) side of the road, according to the country that I am attempting to make my way in. So, I will be forced to subject myself to this harrowing process once again. I think I'll apply for this job too, while I'm at it. Might as well. We'll see what happens.

Love.

P.S. The title of this post was inspired by a conversation I had with a friend the other day, during which I actually forgot my age. As in, this ACTUALLY happened. I even had to do the math. Please tell me what this means???

Comments

Popular Posts