Awareness - Day 5


Ah, Camp Akeela. Home Sweet Home-Away-From-Home.


In 2009 I spent my first summer here and my whole life changed. Camp Akeela is a sleep away camp for kids with social difficulties and also, consequently, one of the most special places on earth. I could talk for hours about my experiences there and yet it would not be enough to truly convey how amazing this place is, or how wonderful the people that work there are. During both of my summers there I had the privilege of witnessing the formation of some really special friendships, among both campers and counselors. Working there taught me more about myself, life and society than any college lecture and these are lessons that I have carried with me ever since. I could actually go on and on (and on and on and on) about this place, but most of you have been subject to this already, so I will simply say that if you haven't yet, you should check out their website:

www.campakeela.com

You should also read their blog - written by the camp directors, Debbie and Eric Sasson. The combined expertise of this wonderful duo is the result of both academic study and years of experience. In their most recent entry (HERE!) they share their thoughts on the increase in diagnosis of autism and Asperger's Syndrome.

If anyone would like additional information about the camp, please feel free to ask. Alternatively you can message the camp directors via the camp website.

Though I was unable to return to camp last summer, the whole Akeela family remains in my thoughts every day. This summer, however, Owen and I will be in the states for three weeks and we hope to spend a few days at our favorite summer destination.

"Camp Akeela here we come, for a summer full of fun!"

Love.

Comments

Popular Posts