It's time I got back to the good life.



This photo was taken at a friend's wedding this past weekend. It was the first time that I had been at an all day event without Frida. It is a capture of a rare moment of relaxation and unbridled revelry that Owen and I were both able to participate in at the same time (thanks to my amazing Mother-in-Law). It is a photographic representation of everything that I am struggling to achieve at the moment - mainly figuring out how to make time for all, or even just some, of the things I once enjoyed and that used to predominately define me as a person before having a baby. 

This blog is one of those things. I have been genuinely and pleasantly surprised that I have been able to keep this thing up over the years. It is totally unlike me, but I love that I will have this collection of thoughts and memories to look back on in the years to come. I'm also hoping that Frida might get a kick out of exploring it as she enters young adulthood, although there is a good chance that she might just find the whole thing to be entirely embarrassing and unnecessary. 

The point is that I feel pretty good about my little corner of the internet and I get a little extra warm and cozy feeling knowing that there are a few friends and family members out there who enjoy keeping up with it as well, but as the months go on it is getting harder and harder to stay committed to. I still think about it all the time. I feel sad when weeks have gone by without any time dedicated to writing. In the quest to make time for parenting, partnership, and my own mental and physical health maintenance, this has been the first thing to fall by the wayside and I can only see it getting worse when I go back to work. 

I have wondered if I should give it up. If maybe the blog has had its time and rather than fret over its ever dwindling posts, I should just move on. But something is stopping me. I'm just not ready to let go of it. With the fluctuating extracurriculars, life ambitions and countries of residence, this blog is the only thing that has remained constant over the last 8 years (besides my relationship with my husband, of course) and I am very reluctant to bring that to an end.

I am hoping that as I get more accustomed to parenthood I will be able to dive back into blogging with renewed vigour and creativity. For now, I think the solution may be shorter (already failing) and more photo-heavy posts - just to keep things going until I can give this space the attention that it deserves. And I know it will feel really good when that happens, just like it felt really, really good to let go on the dance floor on Saturday in a way that I haven't been able to for a long time. And I love a good boogie.



- A -




Comments

Popular Posts