What happened next.

Photo by Dhruve Shah



Still slightly breathless.



On Friday, August 29th, Owen and I took our first steps toward creating a life together by legally becoming husband and wife.

Having just come off of two months working at a summer camp, and having had very little input into the actual events of the day (if you know me, you know why this is a problem), I hardly felt ready to step into the proverbial spotlight. So, in a sort of mad rush, I made every effort to feign a sense of brideliness by setting various, last-minute appointments and by acquiring all the necessary accoutrements (e.g. something borrowed, old, blue, etc., etc.). Before I could even realize what was happening, and despite all of my best efforts to take my time, the day had arrived and I was swept from place to place to undergo the necessary preparations. Then, very suddenly, I was at THE place, in a white dress and heals, awkwardly maneuvering a large bunch of (absolutely beautiful) flowers and very unsuccessfully attempting to hide from all of the guests milling about the lobby.

What happened next.

I can honestly say that I do not remember much of what was said during the actual ceremony. I don't think I have ever had an out-of-body experience before, but if anything could be classified as that, I think that this was it. I do remember walking into the room, or at least moving my feet, one after the other, so that I was propelled forward into the center of, what seemed to be a rather large crowd of people. I remember, just before we began to walk, and probably in a last attempt to regain some sense of control, thrusting my hand through Owen's open arm and clinging to it throughout the entire ceremony, as if I had been glued there. I also distinctly remember swiveling my head to the right and then the left, in an attempt to acknowledge with a smile as many of our guests as possible, and with each turn of the head being surprised by the faces that came into focus, as if I hadn't invited all of them myself.

There was a lot that I was prepared for. I was prepared for the emotion of the ceremony. I knew where the tears would come from and from whom, the laughter. I also knew how I would feel. I knew that I would feel confident in making my vows (though the manic giggling may have suggested otherwise). I knew, as I have known for five years that I would be making the right decision and with the right person. I was entirely prepared for the roles that Owen and I would play on that day.

What I could never have prepared myself for was the overwhelming support that we would feel as friends and family came together to turn the day, which began as a simple plan, into something truly magical. I am still stunned, firstly, by how many people volunteered to contribute to the celebration - transforming the day from a quiet affair into something beyond my wildest dreams. I am overjoyed just thinking about all of the people who could join us last Friday, not to mention those who sent us messages of love and congratulations from around the world, but to know that so many people would want to be a direct part of making the day happen....well it completely takes my breath away.

I would like to especially thank Carolyn, Jo, Russell, Amanda, Suzette, Dhruve, Jan, Tim, Louise, John, Joel, and Keith for all of their help and for making the day run so smoothly. We really couldn't have done it without any one of you. And to everyone else. Everyone that sent cards or gifts. Everyone that called or texted or messaged your support. Your presence was also keenly felt and appreciated.

Thank you everyone. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Owen and I are so happy to have taken this first step toward creating a marriage, but these feelings are something that we expected. We knew what we wanted and we have been preparing for it for a long time. What we did not expect, and what continues to astound me in the aftermath of it all is how we would be affected by the involvement and presence of the people we love. I have always known that I was surrounded by beautiful souls. Every day I feel so unbelievably blessed because, especially over the last few months, I have had the fortune of being in the presence of so many amazing individuals - new friends and old. Yet, even with this knowledge I am, somehow, never prepared for just how wonderful you all can be.

I feel so lucky to have all of you in my life and I am so grateful for every single one of you.

Truly. My heart is so full.

Love.



Comments

Popular Posts