Back to baking.


The other day, inspired by the flavors of the season, I decided to make an apple crisp to add a little pizzaz to an otherwise so-so evening meal. Whilst waiting for some water to boil, I diced up a few small apples and began to set out the ingredients only to realize that we had no butter... Problem.

In an effort not to waste fall's best fruit, I frantically scanned the interweb for a suitable replacement recipe and stumbled upon this gem - No Butter Apple Cake. Perfect.

No Butter Apple Cake

4 whole eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 whole golden apples (diced and coated with 1 Tbsp cinnamon and flour)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts)

1) Beat eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl for a minute or two until well blended. Color should be light yellow.
2) Add flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Beat at medium speed.
3) Mix in apples and nuts.
4) Pour batter into a greased 9-inch pan, lined with parchment paper.
5) Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (about 177 Celsius), for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


SUCH an easy recipe. I blitzed walnuts in a food processor, because that's what was in the house, and I definitely did not coat my apples. Oops! I also substituted everything under the sun - demerara sugar for white, a splash of vanilla extract because I only had 1/2 Tbsp of cinnamon, two small 37d bantam eggs for one medium, store-bought one. Plus, I only had small gala apples, so I diced extra and just added them until the mixture seemed right.

Basically, you can do no wrong with this cake, unless you burn it. And after only 40 minutes the mixture is transformed into a deliciously seasonal, and not too sweet, spongy cake that is best served warm with a smidge of butter - if you have it!

Love.

Comments

Popular Posts