Sweet summer jealousy.

A moment of blue. It rained for two days leading up to this...


Anyone familiar with the 'Great British Summer' knows that it can be a bit hit or miss when it comes to the weather. We usually have a week or two that warms us up, but then the temperature drops and the gray sets in. 

I will never forget my first summer in this country. It rained every, single day in June. I'm not even kidding. I couldn't believe it either, at the time, but honestly it did and I seriously began to wonder whether seasonal affective disorder could actually occur in a season other than winter.

Luckily, we were already planning a trip back to the states that year and after two glorious weeks of bare feet and barbecues, I had fully recovered. This summer, though, no such luck. With all of the future planning going on at the moment, we are trying our best to save and an exotic beach holiday just isn't in the budget. It's worth it, of course, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't even feeling the slightest sense of longing.

Every day, for the last two months my social media feeds have been jam packed with the most tantalizing images of summer. Sun glinting off of crystal clear waters, sandy limbs strolling on beaches, backyard cookouts, flickering bonfires and giant pool floaties in every imaginable shape. It seems like everyone else but me has been basking in those golden rays and I cannot help but feel just a little bit jealous.

Ok, a lot jealous. 

The end of July left a lot to desire over here. The weather has been so up and down that a colleague of mine booked a last minute trip to Turkey for two weeks just so she could guarantee herself some proper (read: consistent) summer sun. I mean, jeez, even my husband managed to squirrel his way onto a school-funded trip to a hot and sunny destination. He was gone for ten days and has returned far too tanned to even pretend like the weather wasn't nice.

Gah!

It's not that bad. 

I know how fortunate I am for everything that I do have, so I'm trying to stay focused on that.  I am actually going on a short city break, as well, so I'm not trying to pretend like I'm completely deprived, but jealousy is just another human emotion, isn't it? One that we all experience sometimes, so there's no point in trying to pretend that we don't. 

I have always loved the summer and this year I am missing it. I am missing the heat and the humidity. I am missing the lazy days spent by the lake. I am missing being able to store all of my knitwear for three months because, some days, the idea of wearing anything more than a wispy, cotton dress or a bathing suit is actually appalling. I am just missing it. And there's nothing wrong with that.



- A -





Comments

Popular Posts