Atop the fell, into the tarn.




Ever since I moved over here, my (now) husband has been insisting that there are mountains in England. Despite his obvious earnestness, I always felt slightly skeptical. The area around where we live is so....flat. Where were these mountains? Why hadn't I seen them? 

The prospect of being able to hike and explore without having to leave the country intrigued me, as one of the things that I had mourned the most when making the decision to move was the loss of the vast and varied geography of the states. 

You can see why, then, when we decided to spend our summer in the UK and, more specifically, in the Lake District, I was immediately excited. I had heard so much about this part of the country - the network of footpaths being the definitive pinnacle of English "walking" (basically hiking) experiences, while the landscape has provided inspiration for many poets, authors and artists - most famously, William Wordsworth.

I wanted adventure and, well, England delivered. Adventure and beauty and much, much more.

This was day 1:




Overlooking Coniston Water.


Heather.


Acting a fool in the tarn.




The Lake District is breathtaking no matter how you choose to explore it, but it certainly is an advantage to have some locals as your guides...as well as your most gracious hosts and superb chefs. 

How spoiled we were. 

More photos to come.



Love.



Comments

Popular Posts